What support and funding is available at college?

Colleges get money from their funding body in order to provide reasonable adjustments and make sure you have the support disabled students need at college, this is called Learning Support (LS). There is a variety of support and equipment that a college might offer which includes:
  • a support teacher or worker, or a sighted guide
  • materials in alternative formats such as braille or large print
  • assistive computer technology
  • computers with speech synthesisers and magnification

In England, the SEN reforms from the Children and Families Act (2014) extend the remit and duty of local authority specialist support services to pupils up to age 25 in full time education (FE, not HE.) Local arrangements differ, and often colleges have to buy in support from the QTVI service, but the student should be able to access specialist support, especially if detailed in an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).

Further information on funding available for college or apprenticeships can be found on RNIB's funding at college webpages.

Disability Rights UK is a national chairty that can provide advice and support on all aspects of support available to students, you can find more informaiton on their Disabled Students Helpline webpage.

Did this answer your question?

Related questions

Brought to you by