Where can I get mobility help for my child?

Registered and Qualified Habilitation Specialists (RQHS) are professionals who are trained to support children and young people with vision impairment to understand how to navigate familiar and unfamiliar environments, so they can get out and about independently and with confidence. The RQHS will also support your child by helping them to develop independent living skills.

Your Local Authority Visual Impairment service should be able to advise you on how to access the support of a Habilitation Specialist.  Their provision should be considered part of the overall assessment of your child’s needs, alongside the support that the Qualified Teacher of vision impairment (QTVI) is providing.

Habilitation may be provided differently depending on where you live. In some areas it is provided directly by the local authority and in other areas it can be contracted to a partner organisation.

The professional organisation of Habilitation Specialists (HabVIUK) have a register of qualified professionals on their website:

Guide Dogs have a Movement Matters service that provides training to help blind children and young people in England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales move around safely and independently. Movement Matters habilitation training includes orientation, mobility and life skills. Further information can be found on Guide Dogs mobility training web pages.

Did this answer your question?

Related questions

Brought to you by