What support and funding is available at university?

Universities and higher education colleges have an obligation to make provision for all students with a disability, including those with a visual impairment. This tends to be arranged by a central office, often called the Disability Support Office and can include support to access your course, support in exams and assessments, accommodation arrangements and mobility training.

You may be eligible for Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs) which provide financial help for students. The DSAs can help with extra course costs students can face as a direct result of their sight condition and/or other disabilities. DSAs enables you to study and have access to course materials on an equal basis to other students and are paid in addition to the standard student finance package.

When you qualify for DSAs, you'll need to have an assessment to identify the equipment and support needed for your course. You can find out more about DSAs, grant awarding charities and government funding schemes for university students on RNIB's Disabled Students Allowance webpage.

Did this answer your question?

Related questions

Brought to you by