What support can I expect from my child’s Qualified Teacher of Vision Impairment (QTVI) or Habilitation Specialist during the coronavirus (Covid-19)?

Your local authority’s sensory services should still be contactable during the school term time as usual. You can use RNIB’s Local Offer directory to find the contact details of your local service.

Education settings (both mainstream and special) should work with their local authority to ensure that services for additional support and early help will be available as far as possible. A risk assessment should have been undertaken by the local authority to determine the most appropriate support going forward. A parent or carer’s view should be taken into consideration when carrying out a risk assessment. More details can be found on GOV.UKs coronavirus supporting children and young people with SEND as schools and colleges prepare for wider opening web page.  

Schools, services and support organisations such as RNIB and VIEW are working to implement and interpret the government guidance as it affects children with vision impairment. The DfE guidance is updated and changes frequently which presents challenges for families and for service provision. More information is available on the VIEW website. Support is available for you about your individual circumstances if you would like to talk to someone. 


RNIB's Children, Young People and Families (CYPF) team remain available to support you with advice and information. Contact them by calling 0303 123 9999 or email them at [email protected].

Did this answer your question?

Related questions

Brought to you by