What to do if I want medical advice about my child’s vision impairment during the coronavirus (Covid-19)?

If your child has vision symptoms that you are worried about the following advice may help you.

You should get the advice of an eye health professional today if they experience sudden onset of any of the following symptoms:

  • Loss of vision
  • Blurred vision
  • Pain with or without discharge
  • Light sensitivity
  • Double vision
  • Flashes of light in your vision
  • Disturbances in your vision
  • New floating bits in your vision

If they have sudden onset loss of vision or double vision you should take them to A&E.

If they have any of the other symptoms you should call your own or a local optician in the first instance and 111 if they are not available. Do not ignore these symptoms or wait until after the coronavirus (Covid-19) situation has eased.

If the symptoms have been present for several weeks or months, then call your optician as soon as you can for advice.

Eye clinic appointments may be cancelled or rescheduled – keep going to any appoints you usually have, unless you’re told not to. Adults and children aged 11 or older will be asked to wear something that covers your nose and mouth when you go to hospital. A list of exemptions to this can be found on GOV.UK

If you are still in doubt, please call the RNIB Helpline 0303 123 9999 or Guide Dogs Advice line 0800 781 1444.

If they have profusely watery or red eyes and a persistent dry cough or fever this is potentially a sign of the coronavirus (Covid-19) and so you should use the 111 online coronavirus (Covid-19) service to find out what to do. Only call 111 if you cannot get help online.

Did this answer your question?

Related questions

Brought to you by