We’re struggling with the technology at home as it’s different to school. Is there any support available during the coronavirus (Covid-19)?

The Department for Education (DfE) is providing a range of support to schools, colleges, academy trusts and local authorities through its Get help with technology programme.

Parents, carers and pupils cannot apply for digital devices or internet access through this scheme themselves. They should contact their school to discuss requirements for accessing remote education.

Below is a list of resources that provide support and free access to software. In addition, your Qualified Teacher of Children with Vision Impairment (QTVI) may be able to provide remote support with technology.

RNIB’s Technology Resource hub has guides and factsheets to help you to understand the basics of different products, keep you up to date in the world of technology, and build on or get your technology knowledge flowing. You can also contact their Sight Loss Advice Service for technology support by calling 0303 123 9999 or emailing [email protected].

Guide Dogs offer information and support around all different types of technology from adapting tech you already have to making the most of a tablet. They also offer funding toward technology and sensory item to use at home. Parents and young people can also apply for a grant towards the cost of access technology. Information on how to apply can be found on the Guide Dogs website.

RNIB’s Children, Young People and Families (CYPF) team would like to hear from you if you have any specific concerns, in particular “How do I?” questions or topics. Please email [email protected] using the title “How we can help you?” with your ideas or concerns or call the RNIB helpline on 0303 123 99 99 

Guide Dogs Specialist Education Support Team are also available to answer any questions you have about your child’s current or future educational needs. Contact them on 0800 781 1444 or email them at [email protected]

General information on the coronavirus can be found on the gov.uk coronavirus (Covid-19) web pages, along with additional information for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Did this answer your question?

Related questions

Brought to you by