How can I apply for a bus pass?

Concessions the national bus concession scheme for disabled people is run by local councils and operates differently in various parts of the UK.

In England

Many local councils issue blind and partially sighted people and people who are of retirement age, with an annual bus pass which gives you free off-peak travel on local buses. Off peak is between 9.30am and 11.00pm Monday to Friday and all day at weekends and on bank holidays. The regulations for discounted or free bus travel vary from area to area and you may be able to use your pass before 9.30am, depending on yor local councils rules. Contact your local council for more information and to enquire about additional benefits such as tram travel.

In Greater London, you may qualify for a Freedom Pass that entitles you to free travel on all underground, overground, bus and tram services. For more information about Freedom Passes see What is the Freedom Pass and how can I get one? 

In Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland

In Scotland, you can get a National Entitlement Card that entitles you to free standard class travel on all rail, local bus, ferry and long distance services in Scotland, and the Glasgow underground. Contact your Local Authority or Strathclyde Partnership for Transport (SPT) to apply for a National Entitlement Card.

In Northern Ireland, you can get a half fare SmartPass that entitles you to half-priced or even free travel on nearly all scheduled bus and rail services. You should be given the form automatically when you register your sight loss or you can contact your Health and Social Services Trust.

In Wales, contact your local council for a pass you can use on buses at any time of the day. 

Did this answer your question?

Related questions

Brought to you by