What benefits can I claim to help me look after my blind or partially sighted child?

If your child has sight loss and is under 16, they may be entitled to Disability Living Allowance (DLA), a non means-tested benefit to help with the extra costs associated with having a long-term disability.

DLA is made up of two components, a care component to help with care and supervision during the day and/or night, and a mobility component to help with getting out and about. Each component is paid at different rates depending on the level of support required.

Because DLA is not means-tested you can receive it regardless of any other income you may have. In some circumstances it can also increase your entitlement to other benefits, or make it more likely that you will qualify for other benefits.

To apply, or for further information, call the DLA Helpline: 

  • 0800 121 4600
  • 0800 121 4523 (textphone)

Other benefits you might be able to claim if you are the parent of a child with sight loss include Carer's Allowance and Tax Credits (or Universal Credit if you are living in certain areas of the UK).

If your child receives DLA, your household will also be exempt from the benefit cap, a limit imposed by the Government on the maximum amount of benefits you can receive.

More information can be found on RNIB's benefits for children web page.

Did this answer your question?

Related questions

Brought to you by