My child has been diagnosed with a vision impairment. What happens now?

As it's often difficult to take in everything you are told when first faced with any diagnosis, it is important to ask for written details of your child's condition. 

If you are unsure about anything after your visit, ring the hospital and ask the consultant's secretary if you can have a written report or ask your GP to follow up for you. You should be prepared that it may take a number of visits to the hospital or eye clinic before there is any clear information to give.

A number of eye hospitals have Sight Loss Advisers (also known as Eye Clinic Liaison Officers or ECLOs).  ECLOs can spend time with you, to talk through any concerns you have and provide you with further information and contacts. 

Guide Dogs Children and Young People's services offer support to children and also the families of children with vision impairments. Further information including the range of support for children, young people and their families can be found on Guide Dogs children, young people's services webpages.

If you live in Scotland you can find further information about eye conditions which affect children on the VINCYP (NHS Scotland) website.

Did this answer your question?

Related questions

Brought to you by