I am in receipt of income related ESA, when I move to UC will the amount of benefit I receive change?

Given the restriction measures currently in place due to coronavirus, some rules around claiming and assessments for benefits have been changed or relaxed in the short term. Please check our Coronavirus (Covid-19): Welfare and benefits section to ensure you are getting the most up to date information or call the RNIB Helpline on 0303 123 9999, from 8am to 8pm weekdays or 9am to 1pm Saturdays.

You will not lose out if the amount of ESA or UC you are entitled to when you are migrated over is less than your existing benefit. The DWP will pay you an extra amount (called a transitional amount) to top up your ESA to the level of your old benefit. However, the DWP will reduce this extra amount each year as ESA rates are increased. In other words, the rate of benefit you receive will stay the same until your ESA entitlement catches up with your old benefit.

For more information about Universal Credit please see RNIB's Universal Credit web page.

Did this answer your question?

Related questions

Brought to you by