Is there any support for mental health, can I talk to someone?

Losing your sight or realising your sight is deteriorating can be difficult to cope with, as it can affect so many different aspects of your life. If you feel that you need or want to talk to somebody then we can help you decide what type of support is best for you and how to get it. There are many different types of support including:

Emergency support if you would like to speak to someone who is available at anytime (24 hours), please contact the Samaritans, who are available over the phone on 116 123, by email at [email protected] or you can find one of their local branches.

Counselling is a type of talking therapy which is generally well structured and provided by a trained professional. It involves talking through thoughts and feeling and thinking about ways of coping with change. It starts with a discussion about the goals you would like to achieve, what will be involved in the therapy and how long it is likely to last.

Emotional support is a less formal type of support, which can be provided by anyone. You can talk in an unstructured way about anything you choose. It may involve the supporter asking you simple questions such as how you are feeling, what is worrying you and providing support by actually listening to you.

Support and peer groups befriending and social groups provide opportunities for you to socialise in small groups by phone to build friendships and get peer support with other people in a similar situation. Many local societies/sight loss charities will run support and peer groups. 

Support courses sight loss support courses aim to help increase independence, boost confidence and help you connect with others to share experiences. Sessions usually provide practical advice, information and guidance on organisations, products and services that are available to help you. Many local societies/sight loss charities such as RNIB, Henshaws and Opensight run support courses. 

Specialised support there are a number of support groups for people with particular eye conditions, for example Macular Degeneration or Glaucoma. You can find a local society or group on our Sightline Directory by entering your postcode and search words such as 'local society', 'support group', 'befriending' etc or an eye condition.

Further information and support on the emotional impact of losing your sight can be found on RNIB's coming to terms with sight loss and Talk to somebody webpages. 

Did this answer your question?

Related questions

Brought to you by