How can I meet other parents and families in a similar situation?

Please check our coronavirus CYPF section to ensure you are getting the most up-to-date information. RNIB's Children, Young People and Families (CYPF) team remain available to support you with advice and information. Contact them by calling 0303 123 9999.

There are a number of ways you can connect with other parents that have a visually impaired child. Social media is an excellent way to share and receive information, you can get almost instant support through chat rooms, blogs and facebook groups. You can also consider joining groups that provide support through family activity events or social clubs that meet up on a regular basis.

You can contact any of the following organisations or groups for further information:

VI Talk is a popular online community of blind and partially sighted people including parents.

RNIB have a Parents and Carers facebook group which will enable you to connect with other parents online.

VICTA have an online parents network that creates a safe space for parents to ask questions and seek advice on any topic related to parenting a visually impaired child.

Parents of Visually Impaired Children is a facebook group for families and Visually Impaired children to connect and share information.

Disability, pregnancy and parenthood is a website where you can find practical information, advice, peer support and advocacy.

Henshaws offer support for parents, you can find out more information on their children and families web pages.

Blind Mums Connect ([email protected]) is a group that links visually impaired mums from all over the UK, so they can share information and support one another.

Angel Eyes NI supports and connects families in Northern Ireland so they can provide peer support for those at the same stage.

VINCYP Scotland has details of all the patient and parent support groups in Scotland

The Macular Society has a dedicated service to offer practical and emotional support to working age and young people with a macular condition.

Its also worth checking if your local society offers any services specific to children with vision impairment. You can find your nearest society on the Sightline Directory by entering your postcode and the search words 'local society'.

For further information on away breaks and events that are available for children with vision impairment and their families see Are there any activity or social breaks and events available for children with vision impairment?

Did this answer your question?

Related questions

Brought to you by