I am in receipt of income related ESA, when I move to UC will the amount of benefit I receive change?

If you are claiming a means-tested benefits such as income related ESA and are then moved on to Universal Credit through the migration process (where circumstances have not changed) you will have your benefit payments protected at a minimum of their current level. This is called “transitional protection”.

The amount of Universal Credit you will receive will therefore not be less than the total amount of your means-tested benefits and tax credits. If it is less, you will get a top-up amount of Universal Credit to make up the difference.

For more information about Universal Credit please see RNIB's Universal Credit Information webpage.

If you need further advice about your circumstances see Who can provide benefits advice?

Debt Advice

Universal Credit has a number of aspects that could leave you without income or with a reduced income for short-term and long-term periods of time. If you are having difficulties resulting from Universal Credit, or are worried you will do if you have to claim, see Can I get help with my debts for help finding expert debt advisers.

Did this answer your question?

Related questions

Brought to you by