What is the bedroom tax?

The “under-occupancy charge” or “Bedroom tax”. This “tax” applies to both the housing element of UC and Housing Benefit (a separate legacy benefit that has been replaced by UC for working age claimants).

The bedroom tax is applied to people of working age who live in social housing (council or Housing Association tenants). It means that you could receive a reduced amount of help with your rent costs, in the form of the UC housing element or Housing Benefit if your local council believe that you have more bedrooms than you need.

If your council notifies you that they are reducing your Housing Benefit because of 'under-occupancy' and you require an extra room to store equipment related to your sight loss or another disability or medical need, you might be entitled to claim Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP) from your council, to cover the shortfall. Further information on DHP can be found on the GOV.uk and mygov.scot websites.

Remember not paying all your rent will lead to possession proceedings.

It is important you are receiving all the benefits you are entitled to. Further information on the benefits that might be available to you can be found on RNIB's Benefits for people of a working age webpage.

Did this answer your question?

Related questions

Brought to you by