How can I make sure my child with a vision impairment gets the right support, now they are starting secondary school?

It’s important that 'transition' planning to move your child into secondary school starts at the end of Year 5 or early in Year 6 (end of primary 6 and start of primary 7 in Scotland and NI). Depending on local arrangements, you may be required to start thinking about secondary schools in Year 5 either at a formal transition meeting or through informal conversations. Applications are usually made early in your childs last year of primary school.

The SEND code of practice in England says that if your child has a vision impairment, a Qualified Teacher of Vision Impairment (QTVI) must be consulted before educational advice or information is given to you. This support should have been in place since the time of diagnosis and referral to your local service. The QTVI in conjunction with a Qualified Habilitation Officer, will be able to advise you about asking for the kind of support that will benefit your child at secondary school.

For further information on the support available in schools see What support is available in schools for children with vision impairment? and What do I do if I feel my child with vision impairment is not getting the right support in school?

Did this answer your question?

Related questions

Brought to you by