How do I know which school will be best for my child with vision impairment?

Many children with vision impairment are educated in mainstream schools, or in special schools that do not specialise in VI. Each school should have a Special Needs Coordinator (SENCO) who will work with you to look at how your child's educational needs can be best met at school. The Sensory Team Visual Impairment service will support the school to ensure that your child has full access to the curriculum and broader school life.

We strongly advise contacting your local authority's Visual Impairment Teaching service for information about provision in your local area. However, you are able to consider schools outside your own catchment or local authority area.

In England, local authorities are required to publish a "local offer" describing what they expect to be available to children with SEND in the local area.

RNIB's SEND getting the right support - SEND and inclusion web page, has links to a list of all English local authorities local offer web pages for visual impairment or sensory education services for babies, children and young people.

Further information and advice can also be found on Guide Dogs education support web pages.

Did this answer your question?

Related questions

Brought to you by