Can I take my employer to an employment tribunal?

If you think your employer has treated you unfairly or discriminated against you because of your sight loss, you can take them to an employment tribunal.

An employment tribunal should be your last step towards resolving the problem. Before taking them to a tribunal, you should raise the issue with them using their internal grievance procedure. You should seek advice about making a complaint at work from an advice agency, such as your local Citizens Advice Bureau.

The process is different in Northern Ireland where Industrial Tribunals are independent judicial bodies that hear and determine claims to do with employment matters. An initial claim must be made through the Northern Ireland employment tribunals website.

If you are not happy with their response, and you intend to make a claim to a tribunal, you must first contact ACAS (Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service) who can offer Early Conciliation and try and resolve the dispute within one month. If the dispute is still not resolved after this time, you can make a claim to an employment tribunal.

An employment tribunal can be very complicated and difficult to manage alone, and there are time limits for when you must start a case by after you have been discriminated against.

Did this answer your question?

Related questions

Brought to you by