How can I get help from my council/local authority to stay independent?

In England, Wales and Scotland social care is delivered by your local authority’s social services department. In Northern Ireland it is delivered by your Health and Social Care Trust. In all cases, the first step to getting social care support is usually to contact your local authority or Health and Social Care Trust to explain that you have sight loss and would like an assessment of your needs.

Once your local authority or Health and Social Care Trust are made aware that you may have a need for care and support, they have a legal duty to carry out an assessment. Before this happens you may be offered support by a "Sensory Impairment Team" at the local authority or health and social care trust, which can provide sight loss specific support, such as visual impairment rehabilitation.

Rehabilitation training, delivered by a specialist rehabilitation worker, can help you to relearn important everyday tasks like getting out and about, getting dressed, cooking and cleaning. If you need ongoing help with these tasks, your local authority will include this in your care plan.

You may have to pay for some of this care, depending on where you live. If you are unhappy with the services you have been offered, or how much you have been asked to contribute towards the cost, you can make a complaint.

For further information on arranging an assessment see How can I arrange a social care assessment? 

For further information on making a complaint see I'm not happy with my social care what should I do?

Did this answer your question?

Related questions

Brought to you by