Will I have to pay for any social care I receive in England?

If you are assessed by social services as needing care and support at home, they will look at what type of help you need and how this will be paid for.

Some types of help you can receive from social services should always be free of charge. This includes:

  • Rehabilitation for the first six weeks
  • Specialist aids, equipment and minor adaptations costing £1,000 each or less
  • NHS care and services

In order to find out how much you will need to pay for other care, your local authority will carry out a financial assessment. This will normally take place after it has been agreed what care and support you require.

The financial assessment is made up of two tests, the capital test and the income test.

The capital test looks at how much you have in savings, while the income test looks at how much money you have coming in each week. This assessment can be complicated and you may want to seek independent advice about the outcome of this.

Further information can be found on RNIB's social care and rehabilitation web page.

Did this answer your question?

Related questions

Brought to you by