What help can I get around the home?

There's lots of help you can get around the home with things such as housework, preparing meals and adapting your home to make it safer and more accessible.

Start by contacting your local social services department, as they may be able to help you, see How can I get help from my council to stay independent?

Local societies for people with visual impairments may also be able to offer a range of support services. You can find your nearest local society or social services department on the Sightline Directory by entering your postcode and the search words 'society' or 'social services'.

If you live in Wales and are over 50 with a visual impairment or hearing loss you can contact Care and Repair Cymru, who have a scheme called 'managing better'. A care and repair officer will visit your home and carry out an assessment, they will then help you to arrange completion of any adaptions that they think will be of benefit to you. Further information and contact details can be found on the Care and Repair Cymru website.

Further information on other help you can get and who to contact can be found on RNIB's Social care and rehabilitation webpages.

For information on moving around your home safely see How can I make my home a safer environment?

Did this answer your question?

Related questions

Brought to you by