Where can I get advice about money or financial products?

There are many organisations that can provide advice on money and finances.

Money Advice Service

The Money Advice Service is a free and independent service set up by the Government to provide information and advice on a wide range of money related issues. They can help with everything from advice on debt and banking to budgeting, pensions and how to plan and cope for the financial impact of life changes such as parenthood, divorce or retirement.

Citizen’s Advice Bureau (CAB)

The Citizens Advice Bureau is well known for providing information and support to thousands of people every year either face to face in local offices, over the phone or via their website.  They can not only provide detailed advice on debt, benefits and money they can signpost you to other suitable organisations depending on your specific enquiry.

England and Wales


 Northern Ireland

Independent financial advice

If you need professional advice about managing your money – for example on investments, mortgages, life insurance – look for an independent financial adviser who will not be tied to a particular company and who is authorised through the Personal Investment Agency.

Unbiased  You can find independent and restricted ‘whole of market’ advisers on their website. Restricted ‘whole of market’ means advisers who can offer available products from all companies, but who may specialise in a particular area, such as pensions.

Personal Finance Society. You can find independent and restricted advisers on their website.

VouchedFor You can find independent advisers only on this website.


The Financial Ombudsman Service

If you have a complaint about a financial service or provider you firstly need to go through their complaints process.  Once you’ve gone through the complaints procedure and they haven’t been able to help you, you can make a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service.  

You must complain to the Ombudsman within six months of getting the letter of deadlock, or from the end of the eight-week period if you don’t get a letter of deadlock. Make sure you keep a record of the date when you first made your complaint to the bank.


Did this answer your question?

Related questions

Brought to you by