I currently receive income related ESA, will I have to claim Universal Credit?

Given the restriction measures currently in place due to coronavirus, some rules around claiming and assessments for benefits have been changed or relaxed in the short term. Please check our Coronavirus (Covid-19): Welfare and benefits section to ensure you are getting the most up to date information or call the RNIB Helpline on 0303 123 9999, from 8am to 8pm weekdays or 9am to 1pm Saturdays.

If you are currently in receipt of 'means-tested' benefits such as income-related ESA, you do not need to take any action until you are contacted by DWP and told you need to claim Universal Credit.

The government plans to start transferring people who are still on existing benefits or tax credits onto Universal credit from November 2020. This process is called 'managed migration' and it is intended to be completed by December 2023. The timeframe however is subject to change.

Change in circumstances

You must report any change in your circumstances to your local Jobcentre, and as a result you may be required to make a new claim for Universal Credit. This process is called 'natural migration'.

Did this answer your question?

Related questions

Brought to you by