How do I challenge a decision on my PIP claim?

Sometimes the DWP/DfC makes the wrong decision, even if you have completed your claim pack well. You can ask the DWP/DfC to look at their decision again if you are unhappy with it and wish to dispute it. This is called a “mandatory reconsideration”. This must normally be requested by you within one month of the initial decision (although a late reconsideration may be accepted – seek advice if required). You should send the DWP/DfC any additional evidence you have to help your case, such as a supporting letter from a medical professional or a support worker.

After the DWP/DfC has reconsidered their original decision, you will be notified. If you are still unhappy with the outcome and wish to dispute it, you can lodge an appeal with HM Courts and Tribunals Service (GB) or Appeals Service (Northern Ireland). Normally appeals must be lodged within one month of the decision following the mandatory reconsideration.

Did this answer your question?

Related questions

Brought to you by