Can I get help with my debts?

It always recommended that you talk to the company that you owe the debt to first. They may be able to work out a reasonable payment plan with you, some companies such as utility providers, may even have a hardship fund that can help you out.

Local Citizens Advice Bureaux usually offer debt advice and you can finde details of your local service by contacting the relevant country: 

England and Wales


 Northern Ireland

There are many other reputable, free, face-to-face debt advice providers including;

National Debtline

A Helpline that provides free confidential and independent advice on how to deal with debt problems as well as a detailed website with useful sample letters and other resources to help you deal with your debts yourself. It is part of The Money Advice Trust, a registered charity.

Step Change Debt Charity

Are a charity providing debt advice and can also provide a free debt management plan.

You can also find a local provider and seek additional advice and support through the Money Advice Service.  

If you are struggling with your finances it is also worth seeking advice on whether you are recieving all your income and benefit entitlements.  For further information about who can provide benefits advice, see Who can provide benefits advice?

Did this answer your question?

Related questions

Brought to you by