How can I get help without registering as sight impaired or severely sight impaired?

You don't need to go through the registration process to get help from your local social services, you can:

Contact social services directly

Contact your social services department directly and ask for an assessment of your care needs, you can do this at any time. Find your nearest local social services on the Sightline Directory by entering your postcode and the search words 'social services'.

When you call them, make it clear that you have sight loss and would like an assessment of your needs. Ideally you should be able to speak to a specialist team within social services (often called a 'Sensory Impairment Team') that has direct experience and training in helping people with sight loss.

Visit your high street optician

Opticians can give you a Low Vision Leaflet (LVL) that contains contact details for sources of information, advice and help. It also has a tear-off form that can be sent to your local social services to ask them for an assessment and advice on what services are available to you. Your optician can also arrange for you to be seen at your local hospital eye clinic by a consultant ophthalmologist.

Visit your hospital eye clinic or ECLO (Eye Care Liaison Officer)

If your hospital has an eye clinic or ECLO they can also refer you as well as offer support and advice. This may involve the completion of a Referral of Vision Impairment (RVI) form.

Local support

Your local sight loss charity or group may be able to provide support, training and guidance. You can find your nearest group or charity on the Sightline Directory by entering your postcode and the search words 'local society'.

For information on the help you can get from social services, see What sort of help can I receive from social services? 

Did this answer your question?

Related questions

Brought to you by