What and where are low vision services?

Low vision services are provided by specialists who will help you to make the most of your sight. They will complete an assessment with you, discussing any tasks and activities you may find difficult. This enables them to identify any low vision aids, such as magnifiers, lighting and eye shields that will help you with everyday tasks like reading or help reduce glare when you are outside. You also be able to try out the equipment and receive training on how to use it.

In England and Scotland

Low vision service provision across England and Scotland is very varied and may be based in a local hospital, opticians or a resource centre run by a local society for people with sight loss. You should ask your GP, optician or eye specialist to refer you to a low vision clinic for an assessment. You can also contact your local Eye Care Liaison Officer (ECLO) for advice.

In Northern Ireland

Low Vision services in Northern Ireland are part of the hospital service. Further information, including how to contact an Eye Care Liaison Officer (ECLO) can be found on RNIBs Services from RNIB Northern Ireland webpage.

In Wales

Low Vision services in Wales are provided by specialists working within high street opticians, you can self-refer by contacting your local low vision practitioner. Further information including how to find your nearest one can be found on the Wales Eye Care Services website.

You can find your nearest Low Vision centre on the Sightline Directory by entering your postcode and the search words 'low vision'.

Did this answer your question?

Related questions

Brought to you by