What are Disabled Students Allowances (DSAs) and how can I apply?

As a student you may be eligible for financial help through Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs). DSAs can help with the extra course costs that you may face as student, due to a vision impairment and/or other disabilities. DSAs enable you to study and have access to course materials on an equal basis to other students and are paid in addition to the standard student finance package.

You can apply for DSAs before you start your course or at any point during your course. You will need to complete an application form and attend an assessment to identify the equipment and support needed for your course.

You can get DSAs if you have a disability, including a long-term health condition, mental-health condition or a specific learning difficulty which has a long-term adverse effect on your ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities, and you:

  • are on an eligible full or part-time undergraduate course (for example, a degree or HND-level course) including distance-learning courses
  • or, are on an eligible postgraduate course (which you need a degree or equivalent qualification to get onto), including distance learning courses.

Any previous study won't affect your eligibility for DSAs, even if you got financial support. However, if you got DSAs for any specialist equipment for a previous course, this will be taken into account. There's no age limit on getting DSAs.

Further information including how to apply and application forms for each different funding body can be found on the DSA-QAG website.

Did this answer your question?

Related questions

Brought to you by