What are Disabled Students Allowances (DSAs) and how can I apply?

Disabled Students Allowances (DSAs) are allowances towards the extra course costs students can face as a direct result of their sight condition and/or other disabilities. DSAs enable you to study and have access to course materials on an equal basis to other students and are paid in addition to the standard student finance package.

You can’t get DSAs if you’re:

  • getting support equivalent to DSAs from another funding provider
  • an EU student
  • an overseas student
  • getting funding from the NHS
  • getting funding from a research council
  • a sandwich-course student on a full-year placement.

If you’re blind or partially sighted, you'll need to provide medical evidence of this when you apply, such as a letter from your doctor or specialist.

Making an application

Information on how to apply and application forms for each different funding body can be found on the DSA-QAG website:

Having an assessment

Once you have successfully applied for DSA, you will need to arrange a needs assessment, which will identify any equipment or other extra support you may need. You can find your nearest assessment centre on the DSA-QAG website:

Did this answer your question?

Related questions

Brought to you by