What are my legal rights at university and college?

Under the Equality Act (2010) all education providers are required to ensure that disabled people's access requirements are met.

Colleges and Higher Education institutions are required to provide publicity and all other materials in a range of accessible formats (large print, Braille, etc) so you should ask for these in the format you prefer. These institutions have an 'anticipatory' duty under the legislation and they should be able to provide materials in an appropriate format without difficulty.  You should find out what the college or university provides in terms of other facilities such as computers with screen reading and/or magnification software.

The environment should also be accessible and you should be able to get around safely. Contact your University's Disabled Students Service to discuss local arrangements. 

For more information see What is the Equality Act?

Did this answer your question?

Related questions

Brought to you by