My property is in disrepair, what can I do?

f you are renting either through a private or social landlord they have a responsibility to ensure that the property they rent out is safe and habitable.  If your property is in a state of disrepair they should be taking steps to repair the issues.

Your first step should be to contact your landlord directly and report the disrepair issues.  It would be beneficial to note dates, times and who you spoke to as well as photographing (where appropriate) the disrepair. 

If after contacting them they fail to act you could explore further action.  Depending on whether they are a private or social landlord the action you can take next will vary. 

To get details on your next steps Shelter or Housing Advice NI can provide further information.

For independent housing advice and support please see Who can I contact for housing advice?

Did this answer your question?

Related questions

Brought to you by