Can I claim Blind Person’s Allowance?

Given the restriction measures currently in place due to coronavirus, some rules around claiming and assessments for benefits have been changed or relaxed in the short term. Please check our Coronavirus (Covid-19): Welfare and benefits section to ensure you are getting the most up to date information or call the RNIB Helpline on 0303 123 9999, from 8am to 8pm weekdays or 9am to 1pm Saturdays.

You can claim Blind Person's Allowance:

England and Wales - if you're registered with your local council as severely sight impaired (blind)

Scotland and Northern Ireland - if you are unable to perform any work for which eyesight is essential

The allowance is added to your tax-free Personal Allowance and increases the amount of income you can earn each year before you start paying tax.

If you are on a low income, or you don't pay any tax, you can transfer the Blind Person's Allowance, or part of it, to your spouse or civil partner - even if they are sighted. If both you and your spouse or civil partner qualify for Blind Person's Allowance, you can both claim an allowance.

To claim, call HM Revenue and Customs:

  • 0300 200 3301

Further information can also be found on RNIB's Tax Advice web pages.

For further information on registering sight loss see Can I register as sight impaired (partially sighted) / severely sight impaired (blind)?

Did this answer your question?

Related questions

Brought to you by