How do I register as sight impaired (partially sighted) or severely sight impaired (blind)?

You can only be registered once you have attended an eye clinic appointment and obtained a CVI (certification of vision impairment). The term registration is often used as shorthand to cover the whole process but there are two distinct and separate stages. Certification and Registration.

Every council must hold a register of people living in their area who are sight impaired or severely sight impaired. 

Your council will receive a copy of your CVI, and should make contact with you within two weeks to talk to you about registration and the benefits of being registered.

Your council may also have an arrangement with another organisation to contact you on their behalf about registration. So don't worry if its someone else who contacts you on the councils behalf.

At this point your assessment should start. Under the Care Act 2014 your council has a duty to assess what support you may need and whether or not you choose to be registered.

For information on the criteria for registering see What is the eye sight criteria for a certificate of vision impairment (CVI)?

Further information about registering your sight loss can be found on RNIB's Registering as sight impaired web pages.

Did this answer your question?

Related questions

Brought to you by