Can I get a Certificate of Vision Impairment (CVI) and register as sight impaired (partially sighted) if I have lost the sight in one of my eyes?

Many people who have sight in only one eye consider themselves partially sighted. However, an eye consultant will not be able to certify you as “Sight Impaired/Partially Sighted” because you would not meet the criteria unless you also have a significant loss of sight in your other eye. This is because both eyes need to be affected by loss of vision to meet the criteria for certification. The criteria for certification and registration are set nationally by the Department of Health and applied at the discretion of a consultant ophthalmologist.

If you have some loss of sight in your other eye as well then it is worth discussing the possibility of registration with your ophthalmologist.

Please also see, Is it worth registering as blind or partially sighted, can I still get access to benefits without it?

Did this answer your question?

Related questions

Brought to you by