How do I register as sight impaired (partially sighted) or severely sight impaired (blind)?

The term registration is often used as shorthand to cover the whole process but there are two distinct and separate stages. Certification and Registration. You can only be registered once you have attended an eye clinic appointment and obtained a CVI (certification of vision impairment).

Your council will receive a copy of your CVI that was completed for you during your eye clinic appointment, and should make contact with you within two weeks to talk to you about registration and the benefits of being registered.

Your council may also have an arrangement with another organisation to contact you on their behalf about registration. So don't worry if its someone else who contacts you on the councils behalf.

This is the point your assessment should start. Under the Care Act 2014 your council has a duty to assess what support you may need and whether or not you choose to be registered.

It usually takes around 2 to 6 weeks for them to make contact with you - if you have not heard anything after 6 weeks get in touch with your local councils sensory team, you should be able to find their details on your local councils website.

If this has not answered your question about CVIs or registration please view all the questions in the Registering sight loss section of this FAQ as it contains a range of questions around CVI's.

Did this answer your question?

Related questions

Brought to you by