How can I claim Universal Credit?

Claims for Universal Credit can be made by filling in a form online by visiting:

The online system should meet guidelines for accessibility, so should work with magnification and screen reading technology on computers and other devices.

If you are a single person living in a household, you simply make an individual claim for Universal Credit. If you are part of a couple you will need to make a joint claim.

If you are unable to complete an online application, you can contact the Universal Credit Helpline to request support:

  • 0800 328 5644
  • 0800 328 1344 (textphone)
  • 0800 012 1888 (Welsh language)

Please be aware the Universal Credit Helpline is operating reduced opening times. The UC Helpline will only be available between 9:30am and 3:30pm. DWP state this is to allow Case Managers time to process payments.

A DWP adviser may be able to complete the online form for you as you talk through the application over the phone or you can arrange to visit a local DWP office and an adviser can complete the form for you face to face. You may also ask for a home visiting service where DWP staff or a local support service are able to visit you at home to complete the form.

From April 2019 Citizens Advice (England and Wales) and Citizens Advice Scotland are providing a Help to Claim service. To access this support, contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau.

Further information about Universal Credit can be found on RNIB's Universal Credit web page.

Did this answer your question?

Related questions

Brought to you by