When can I get rehabilitation?

The most common way people access rehabilitation services is through the process of registering their sight loss with their local authority. This process should automatically trigger contact from your local authority. For more information on how to get registered see How do I register as blind or partially sighted?

However, you should be able to access rehabilitation at any stage of your sight loss, where it may be beneficial, regardless of whether you are registered or not. Simply contact your social services, explain that you have sight loss and would like an assessment from their Sensory or Visual Impairment team.

Rehabilitation services can cover the following areas:

  • Orientation and mobility skills
  • Independent living skills
  • Communication skills

You can find your local council to arrange an assessment on the GOV.uk website:

Local societies for people with sight loss may also be able to offer a range of support services. You can find details of your nearest local society on the Sightline Directory by entering your postcode and the search words 'local society'.

For further information on rehabilitation, see What is rehabilitation?

Did this answer your question?

Related questions

Brought to you by