Can I get help with the rising cost of living and paying my bills?

Many people do not claim the benefits to which they are entitled. Given the current cost of living crisis, all blind and partially sighted people should ensure they are maximising their income through this route, along with accessing any other financial help that is available.

Many blind and partially sighted people could meet the threshold for health/disability related benefits which are not means tested, such as Personal Independence Payment, Attendance Allowance or Disability Living Allowance for children.

The RNIB website has a benefit calculator as well as advice that can help guide you through the rules and regulations of the benefits, concessions and grants you could be entitled to. You can also download their Cost of Living and Accessible banking factsheets that have handy tips on how to manage your finances independently when you have sight loss.

RNIB provides free, impartial energy advice to help you manage your energy bills and energy usage. Further information on how they can help, along with other energy saving advice can be found on our Energy Saving Advice entry.

Further Information

The following websites also have information on things you can do to ease the burden:

  • The Citizens Advice website has information on getting help from your local council, how to get a government loan ‘budgeting loan’ as well as information on food banks and vouchers
  • The GOV.UK Benefits and financial support if you're on a low income webpage has links to all the benefits for help with housing, heating cost help, NHS prescription and health costs and how to get help claiming benefits
  • Step Change, a debt Charity have a range of information on their website including how to deal with debt and what to do if you need emergency help with money and food
  • Independent Age have information on short term benefit advances and grant information
  • Thomas Pocklington Trust has information on what the cost of living support means for blind and partially sighted people
  • The Money and Benefits section of this FAQ has a range of questions covering benefits and banking, along with information on discounts and concessions
  • Charis administer funds on behalf of some energy companies to help people who need support with energy bills, freestanding appliances, boiler repairs or boiler replacements. Their energy fund FAQ also has details of other organisations you can approach for support.
  • BBC News have issued some energy saving tips, in their article Five ways to cut costs this winter.

The following entries the Independent Living category of this FAQ may also be of help to you:

Did this answer your question?

Related questions

Brought to you by