What is the Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and who can claim it?

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a non means tested benefit for people with a disability of working age. Because it is non-means tested it doesn't matter if you are working or how much you earn. PIP has replaced Disability Living Allowance (DLA) except for children aged under 16 years old. It is administered by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

Who can make a claim for PIP?

  • You have to be aged 16 or over and not have reached the state pension age to claim, please see I currently receive DLA, do I have to claim PIP and will I be reassessed?
  • You must need help with daily living activities or getting out and around, or both
  • You must have had your sight loss (and any other disabilities if applicable) for the three months before you make a claim for PIP. For your claim to be successful, the DWP must also expect your disability to last for the next nine months.

To make a claim for PIP you must also:

  • Be habitually resident in the UK
  • Satisfy the past presence test

These rules are complicated and there are some exceptions, for example if you are living in a European Economic Area country. Please seek further advice if you are unsure.

PIP has two components, a daily living component (to help you with everyday tasks), and a mobility component (to help you with getting around). Both components have a standard rate and an enhanced rate.

Further information on PIP and DLA can be found on RNIB's Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and Disability Living Allowance (DLA) web pages.

If you are in England, Scotland or Wales you can request a PIP claim form by calling the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP):

  • 0800 917 2222
  • textphone 0800 917 7777

If you are in Northern Ireland you can request a PIP claim form by calling NI Direct:

  • 0800 012 1573
  • textphone 0800 012 1574

Did this answer your question?

Related questions

Brought to you by